Some time last year I skimmed through an article someone posted on Facebook about the reusable Diva Cup. Eureka! How could I have gone all these years without knowing of an option other than pads or tampons? I quickly ran to Amazon and poured over the thousands (yes, thousands) of positive reviews of this thing. A menstrual cup! Really? I was interested but it wasn't until a trusted book club buddy admitted (after a few glasses of wine) that she bought one and loved it. That was all I needed to click submit on my order. My Diva was to arrive in 3-5 days.
I'm going to break it down for you here- the pros and the cons. Get ready. If you can't handle it, turn back now.
1. No trash. No waste. No garbage can filled with gross smelly objects.
2. No odor. You know what happens when blood is exposed to air? Yeah, so do I and it ain't pretty.
3. One purchase for all of your feminine protection needs for less than $30.00 a year. If you go with the Diva brand they suggest replacing it every 12 months. That beats buying a box a month of whatever you used to buy. Oh and did I mention, NO WASTE?
4. Nothing mysterious around your lady parts. No bleached cotton, no scented pads.
5. It only needs to be emptied 2-3 times a day (in my experience). The box says it can be worn up to 12 hours without changing it. I can say that I have had no trouble going overnight. Love that.
6. No icky string.
7. No need to carry extra supplies in your purse, bag, pocket, etc. Just dump, rinse, reuse!
8. It's comfortable! Once it's in correctly you are ready to roll.
9. I'm saving the environment. I'm not exactly a granola mom- we eat at McDonald's- but this is something I can feel good about.
10. Perfect for camping.
1. It takes practice. A lot of practice. Don't give up. Commit to this thing and you will feel happy, free, and proud of yourself. Take a moment to gently break if off with your current feminine products. You'll start singing, "Damn, I Feel Like a Woman," almost immediately.
Ladies, do yourself a solid and buy one. They sell two models- one for women who have not had children and another for those of us who have. And do me a favor. Once you've learned the ways of the Diva, share the knowledge. You could change someones life just like my book club buddy changed mine. Camp on in comfort!
If you order a Diva Cup from Amazon please consider choosing Team CMMD Foundation as your Amazon Smile Charity. I run (not marathons) with Divas of many sorts. Team CMMD is a running group that raises money to help local families fighting cancer. When you choose Team CMMD Foundation as the charity you support, Amazon will send a percentage of your purchase to the Foundation. Thank you!